Nattu Maruthuvam 09-01-2015 Benefits Of Custard Apple – சீதா Pazham – Sun tv Show
Nattu Maruthuvam | Dt 09-01-15 | Dr.Sakthi Subramaniam | Siddha Maruthuvam
Benefits of Guava | Medicinal uses of Guava
Custard Apple/சீதா Pazham
Custard apple, also known as Seetaphal in India, is a subtropical fruit belonging to the Annonacea family. The fruit grows on a small deciduous tree and is known by different names worldwide.Custard Apple is a sweet fruit, which is widely grown across the world. The fruit is compound in nature, measuring 3¼ to 6½ inches (8-16 cm) in diameter. The shape of the fruit may be symmetrically heart-shaped, lopsided, or irregular. It may be nearly round or oblate, with a deep or shallow depression at the base. The skin or covering of custard apple is thin but tough, which is usually yellow or brownish when ripe. Beneath the thin covering, a thick, cream-white layer of custard like, granular, flesh is present, which surrounds seeds. The flavor of the fruit is sweet and agreeable. Besides, custard apple has many health and nutritional benefits.
Types Of Custard Apples:
1. Pinks Mammoth:
Pinks mammoth is a huge custard apple with an outstanding taste. It is named after Mr. Pink, the man who introduced it to Australia. Its sweet and melting flavor makes it the most popular variant across the world. It is quite huge and could produce fruit weighing as much as 3 kg. This variety of custard apple is renowned for possessing almost no seeds.
2. African Pride:
African Pride is a ten feet tall tree, bearing small sized custard apple. The tree bears heart shaped fruit with a relatively thick skin. The fruit has more seeds than pinks mammoth and yields are quite high. It is an early maturing fruit that makes it the most commercially popular variety of custard apple. The fruit weighs between 500 grams to 800 grams and is mostly utilized for preparing salads and other savories.
3. Late Gold:
Late Gold is a stunning golden bronze custard apple with a soft skin. This variety of custard apple is quite rare and is mostly available in Northern Rivers.
Geffner is an Israeli variety of the custard apple with an exceptionally amazing taste.
5. Hilary White:
Hilary White has a relatively smooth skin and is average in size. It tastes same like the other varieties of custard apple.
Health Benefits of Custard Apple
* Custard apple is a storehouse of Vitamin C, which is an anti-oxidant and helps in neutralizing free radicals.
Vitamin A present in the fruit is good for hair, eyes and healthy skin.
* Custard apple contains magnesium, which plays vital role in relaxing muscles and protecting heart against
* Potassium and Vitamin B6 are also present in custard apple.
* Copper is yet another useful ingredient of custard apple.
* It is a rich source of dietary fiber, which helps in digestion.
* As it contains low fat levels, it is good for maintaining optimum health.
* The paste of the flesh of the fruit can be used for local application on ulcers, abscesses and boils.
* The fruit, in its unripe form, can be dried, crushed and used for treating diarrhea and dysentery.
* Custard apple serves as an expectorant, stimulant, coolant and haematinic and is even useful in treating
* The seeds of the fruit have insecticidal and abortifacient properties
Side Effects Of Custard Apples:
* Custard apple is very cold in nature, so do not consume it in excess amounts as it can make one sick.
* The seeds of custard apple fruit are poisonous. Do not consume it.
* Since these fleshy, creamy fruits are rich in sugar, diabetes patients are advised to not consume custard apple
in high amounts.